Tuesday 1 May 2012

Cultural History assignment: The Beret

The Beret

I've been wearing berets for years now, And when given this task of finding an item that I identify with, the beret came to mind immediately. So I then had to find out why this is so. Why I originally started wearing them.
This is me wearing my favourite beret:
So I did some research:
Recently they've been popular as fashion statement.

In previous centuries and present day they've been worn as part of military uniform.




 In the 1950's, berets were commonly associated with the "Beatnik" culture:
 http://www.retrogalaxy.com/culture/beatniks.asp

Which I think is a link with the French  Stigma that the beret has. Which is used in almost any parody involving a french person.

 http://blog.hostelbookers.com/travel/fashion-trends/ :

"A popularized image of beret-wearers was in the television series ‘Allo ‘Allo by characters of the French Resistance. Along with stripey tops and onions draped around the neck, berets are a stereotype that the French just can’t seem to shake off. Berets can be traced throughout Europe as far back as the Bronze Age but they were mass produced in France and Spain in the 19th century."

The parody also extends to the "Artist". Below is a self portrait of Claude Monet. An artist painting himself wearing a beret. Can't get much more stereotypical than that.


France
The black beret was once considered the national cap of France in Anglo-Saxon countries and is part of the stereotypical image of the Onion Johnny. It is no longer as widely worn as it once was, but it remains a strong sign of local identity in the south west of France. When French people want to picture themselves as "the typical average Frenchman" in France or in a foreign country, they often use this stereotype from Anglo-Saxon countries. There are only two manufacturers left in France, Hoquy and Blancq-Olibet.

As far as where the beret originated, it has been worn by all throughout Europe for centuries, And Archaeology and art history indicate that headgear similar to the modern beret has been worn since the Bronze Age across northern Europe and as far south as ancient Crete and Italy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beret



http://www.berets.com/the-beret-in-history.html

 

Meaning of the red beret

The red beret is a military beret worn by many military police, paramilitary, commando and police forces around the world. The maroon beret has become a symbol of airborne forces, though this is often known as a "red beret", particularly when referring to the British Parachute Regiment.



http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-196646101143773778

So why the beret relates to me? I think it's because I've always had a romantic idea about European lifestyle, particularly French culture, sitting in cafes, smoking cigarettes, the language. Everything about it, seems so cool to me. So I think this is a big reason for originally wearing it.
Also the artist stigma that goes with it. The great artist Monet, painted himself wearing a beret. And often we see parodies of the pretentious artist, and without fail, they'll be wearing a beret. This link between the two makes me feel like a little bit of a wanker at times, being someone wanting to be an artist wearing a beret, However, I like them, And although people have pointed the stereotype out to me many times (sometimes not in a nice way) I'm not too bothered.

The "Other"

The "Other", The opposite of the beret. Something I do not associate with:

The Mesh Hat (Trucker Hat)


The mesh hat has connections with many stereotypes. The first and foremost, the truck driver, in the 1970's.

Next came the hipsters, skaters, rockers, and punks in the 80's, all of which never stopped wearing them. In fact, my ex-boyfriend, the metal head, would wear a trucker hat. So I don't completely feel unconnected with it, however, I still wouldn't wear one.

In the late 90's/2000's the trucker hat became a huge trend. Virtually everyone owned one. Even I, had a pink one (awkward, bad taste, teenage stage, wore it once) But still do not identify with the trucker hat.

 http://www.meshhat.com/chourfrsi.html

 




No comments:

Post a Comment