Thursday 3 May 2012

Tangled


Lately, I've been working on these artworks using fabric. For a while I'd been wanting to incorporate the skills I learned from fashion design into my artworks. And finally I was given an opportunity at school to do so. We had to create a relief sculpture using anything we liked. I chose to use fabric.

  

The Suffolk puff design I had used before in some of my clothes designs. Traditionally, however, it had been used in quilting. I decided to use these as the gathering creates a great line and is perfect for shadowing.


I wanted the work to have lots of shadowing. Which is why I chose white, to exaggerate these shadows. 

The loose threads are also an important addition to the work. I feel they have an awesome organic line. Line is a very important factor in my art, as I mostly do line drawings. I try to incorporate line into everything I do, even my paintings.


This is one of the finished works.


I wanted to give the impression that the flowers were tangled or trapped within the threads, almost like an insect in a spiderweb. But make it very easy to look at. I think the white makes it have a peaceful energy.



1 comment: